Thursday, October 14, 2010

Life in the Mirror

Man, have I missed playing the guitar over the last two years! I guess I shouldn't be surprised. After all, after playing guitar for over forty years, I stopped cold-turkey just before Christmas 2008, waking up that January totally unable to move my left hand. "Maybe you'll get back the use of your hand within the next year or so," they tried to tell me. I mostly denied that anything could possibly happen to make things better. Unfortunately, I've been mostly right.

So now I'm thinking that I should try playing left-handed guitar. Why not? Same principle, just mirror image, right? Chords with the right hand, strumming or picking with the left. Besides, I really need to have an outlet for my musical impulses, and I'm frankly tired of playing simplistic rhythm instruments like the claves. So now I have to decide whether to spend a few bucks to have the strings reversed on my wife's classical guitar, or bite the bullet and spend the extra money to buy a left-handed Martin Backpacker. Either way, I think I'm now up for the challenge. Besides, it's better than not playing at all!

Even if all I do is play badly, I'll be no worse than ninety percent of those who call themselves guitar players....

No comments:

Post a Comment